Friday, July 19, 2013

Why UPS Is Better Than Santa Claus


I love when I see a UPS truck making deliveries (or fedex etc.). Even if I know it isn't coming to deliver something to me, I still get warm fuzzy feelings. I get these feelings because I know that somebody somewhere, most likely a lot of people, are having a good day. They are getting their dreams delivered to them. That's right, the UPS truck delivers people's dreams.
I got thinking, the UPS delivery driver is a lot like Santa Claus. They are similar in many ways: both deliver packages; both wear uniforms. I'm sure they both like hot cocoa. But, I think the UPS driver is better. Here are my top reasons why the UPS driver is better than Santa:
  • The UPS driver doesn't eat your cookies
  • The UPS driver doesn't sneak around inside your house at night
  • For that matter, the UPS driver stays off your roof and out of your chimney
  • The UPS driver delivers all year round
  • The UPS driver brings you exactly what you want, every time.
  • Lastly, please guard your children's ears... the UPS delivery driver is real

Lately, I was thinking about how good God is to us. How He has always taken care of me, even when things are hard. Even when He doesn't give me what I want (unlike the UPS driver). He always gives me what I need. Looking back I can see that His plan, giving me what I need over what I want, has been better.
Matthew 7:7-11 tells us to pray and to keep asking God for things. It goes on to say that God is like a good parent who doesn't give his child a stone if the child asks for bread. It is so true that God is like that. He seeks to give good gifts to His children. He is our provider and does care for us.
In troubled times it can be difficult to see this truth. In some situations we may never, in this life, understand His ways or why He allows some of the things he allows. It can feel this way because He does give us what is best, from His all-knowing perspective, and not just want we want or what we can see as best. In these times we can seek after Him, depending on His character, and practice placing trust in what we believe to be true. We trust in what God has revealed to us about Himself. He is good and perfect. He desires that we have abundant life, and He will take care of us. Just as a good father takes good care of his children - only more so. Abundantly more so.

"Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow." (James 1:17 NLT)
"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment